In Shanghai and out
A couple of weeks ago I travelled to Shanghai; it's a beautiful modern city with a blend of the old and the new; it can give New York a run for it's money in terms of sky scrapers and shopping districts. There are many high rise buildings here, with twists and curves and angles and neon lights at night that I have not see anywhere until then. Shanghai is the heart of capitalism in China and you can feel the difference in the air, in the people, in the system as it moves dynamically.
The people that walk many of these streets are alone, they walk to get the next great shopping fad, the rush somewhere perhaps often without knowing why; it feels different, the warmness of the other cities I've visited in China is not here for me. As you walk some of the bigger streets, especially in shopping areas, you get approached non stop for things offered to you; ranging from DVDs and fake watches to massage and sex of your choice. There are many beggars here and pretend beggars often with their children; everyone is looking to take advantage of the tourists that travel here.
Once I got away from the modern streets, shops and buildings, I have landed in the beauty of the older and more rundown areas; I could feel the life of the people here once more. They live together as a community, spending a lot of time outside: socializing and helping one another; perhaps this is the necessary adaptation of the less fortunate to survive. The food is cheap here but very tasty, the people are friendly and kind to you, they are curious and they will make you feel welcome. This is the my little corner of Shanghai.
I enjoyed the views of the modern architecture at night and the museums on offer, the fancy bars on 87th floor and being reunited with old travellers here ... but in the end, I was happy to leave this city as it is not for me.
The people that walk many of these streets are alone, they walk to get the next great shopping fad, the rush somewhere perhaps often without knowing why; it feels different, the warmness of the other cities I've visited in China is not here for me. As you walk some of the bigger streets, especially in shopping areas, you get approached non stop for things offered to you; ranging from DVDs and fake watches to massage and sex of your choice. There are many beggars here and pretend beggars often with their children; everyone is looking to take advantage of the tourists that travel here.
Once I got away from the modern streets, shops and buildings, I have landed in the beauty of the older and more rundown areas; I could feel the life of the people here once more. They live together as a community, spending a lot of time outside: socializing and helping one another; perhaps this is the necessary adaptation of the less fortunate to survive. The food is cheap here but very tasty, the people are friendly and kind to you, they are curious and they will make you feel welcome. This is the my little corner of Shanghai.
I enjoyed the views of the modern architecture at night and the museums on offer, the fancy bars on 87th floor and being reunited with old travellers here ... but in the end, I was happy to leave this city as it is not for me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home