Monday, November 19, 2007

Protecting Tiananmen Square

I was walking back to the hotel tonight and my route happened to pass by Tiananmen Square. I found it curious to see that all entries to the square were blocked at night and were protected by a soldier at each entrance ... so no entry is possible. It's quite a massive operation to do something like that given that it's the largest square in the world!

I suppose that's one way of keeping it clean and prevent vandalism ... can't really think of any other reasons why they do it, but I will try to find out from some people here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had heard the name of the square before, and I knew there was censorship going on from China's part on its history.

So let's do a small experiment: Search on Google for "Tinamen Square", while you are in China.
When I searched I got the following first entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home