Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sometimes things just work out

I was taking the train to Qingdao last night from Beijing; it was a night train, so I enjoyed the idea of transporting while sleeping again. While on the train, I met a woman who spoke English, we had a few conversations and during one of them I happened to mention that I was looking to go to downtown of Qingdao. She told me that the train station is far outside the city and that I will have to take a bus or a taxi; I opted for the bus.

Later, in the morning she brought it up again and asked another guy staying in our compartment about it. He was quite nice and offered to show me where my bus was, a bit of a walk from the station, and even tell the driver where to go. So they both brought me to my bus and I took it ... it was packed. I was supposed to get off on the 2nd last stop, but naturally I missed it. At the last stop I told the bus driver where I was going, she miraculously understood, at least she appeared to, and told me to wait for her to go the other way.

While I was waiting, an elderly Chinese guy walked in at the first stop. He spoke English well; we chatted a little bit, then he asked me where I was going and helped me locate my hostel. After a brief argument on where I should get off with the bus driver, he told me to wait 3 stops. I did and when I exited, another friendly Chinese guy came over and asked if he could take me to where I was going ... it was all bizarre; I accepted and he took me to the hostel.

Sometimes things just line up to work out, almost like destiny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home