Monday, November 19, 2007

Mania for Beijing Olympics

It would be hard for me not to notice how important the Olympics are to China and the Chinese people ... it's everywhere in your face; certainly in Beijing.

They have a countdown just on the side of Tienanmen square and another one in Qingdao, that today read 260 days. Every historical site you visit, you will find people on the streets trying to sell you the Olympics merchendise, the mascots in all forms; at one point I looked for some regular souvenirs in the Forbidden City and couldn't find anything outside the walls. Of course, it's not only in the historical sights, it's everywhere ... mania for the Olympics. We met here a few Chinese people, some giving us a tour of historical sights in Beijing that have come from various parts of China to work here to stay for the Olympics. There are commercials playing on the subway and around the city non stop for the Olympics as well: Something like "One world, one dream ...".

When I get the chance to talk to some locals, I often get asked if I will come back for the Olympics. From what I'm told, the amount of construction that has been done for and around the Olympics is unbelievable ... new things are springing up around the clock. Some locals believed that prices will jump significantly after the Olympics, so I was told that I should enjoy the low prices right now :)

Olympics are very important to China, I wonder how different things will be for the Vancouver olympics in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home