Outsourcing to India
So it looks like there is a big trend going on in the Software industry right now. Many companies are outsourcing their development to India.
Between my boss literally getting everyday phone calls with such offers, I should know since I sit beside him, and the big companies like Microsoft outsourcing to India, is there a future for us, young computer-science graduates, in this industry in North America?
Just today MS has announced that they are partnering up with some companies in India and are going to double their workforce in India.
One more thing; how come the CEO of Ms get to meet with the prime minister of India? Have big corporations become as powerful as governments now?
Between my boss literally getting everyday phone calls with such offers, I should know since I sit beside him, and the big companies like Microsoft outsourcing to India, is there a future for us, young computer-science graduates, in this industry in North America?
Just today MS has announced that they are partnering up with some companies in India and are going to double their workforce in India.
One more thing; how come the CEO of Ms get to meet with the prime minister of India? Have big corporations become as powerful as governments now?


7 Comments:
There is always future for smart people. I don't think we need to worry much about this outsourcing, at least not for the next 10-15 years.
I agree that outsourcing will further create R&D and is good for the world as a whole ... however most likely the R&D investment that will come with it will be in the outsourced country (eg. India) since everything is cheaper and therefore is easier to make higher profits. Consequently there will still be less jobs in the field in North America; which is rather my concern at the moment since I was planning to work here.
Regarding the Automotive industry, I think its a little harsh to claim that American cars are that bad; they aren't, in many cases they are better than some of the Europeans, who primarily live off their brand name. Of course the Japanese cars are superior in many ways and come at cheap prices.
But I will admin that it doesn't look like the industry in America is not pushing hard enough to innovate; they are falling far behind the Japanese who clearly see that cleaner fuel is the way of the future.
My fear with outsourcing is that the way of a computer programmer in North America will go the way of the t-shirts and basic accessories (i.e. all made in China).
Well if there is nothing to worry about for the next 15 years, at the end of those 15 years, we better become entrepreneurs or go into management or I guess we can always buy a one way ticket to India.
Alex
I was recently talking to my indian co-worker and he mentioned that in India your position is very important to people. Smart senior people in India don't want to be developers because they don't feel important this way. Thus it's safe to assume that most of the outsourcing will be done by junior people, who aren't nearly as experienced as senior people in the US. Thus I don't believe that the quality of the code produced in India will be as good as the quality of code produced by senior North American programmers.
Hm, interesting.
However, I thing things like tend to change when its in the interest of the governemnt to have Indian senior programmers since we are talking about a big portion of the current/future economy.
Also its important to point out that its not only India that is involved in the outsourcing but other countries, like Russia and China, as well. These countries do not have that issue.
Here is an article that was published just recently relating to this issue http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4038069.stm
It looks like already some people, in this case from Europe, are lured to go work in India due to a lack of jobs in the domestic market.
Where exactly did find "due to the lack of jobs in domestic parket" in that article??
A lot of people want to explore the world, live in other countires.. So if an opportunity to work in India presents itself, why not?
You are right, its not found in that article.
And yeah, there is nothing wrong with traveling and working there.
I think its quite interesting to see how the whole IT market is unfolding there.
Post a Comment
<< Home