Monday, May 12, 2008

Creating Music

I have not studied music or how to play a guitar. But a few days ago, I have purchased a small 6 string guitar. I'm not even sure it can produce the full range of sounds of a normal guitar, but that doesn't matter ... I am happy with what it gives me! :)

I decided to try a different approach than usually taken; instead of learning the process of playing guitar (ie. the coords), I would try to learn and create music on my own, using my own observations and methods. The idea being that if you use the same process, you will end up with following the same system as others and therefore, there could be less room for creating something more original.

In my try to discover good combinations and harmonic souds, I found that I was applying similar ides from other fields; For example, I found that nearby strings and opposite strings can go well together; just like in colour matching theory. I learned that repetition was important and a very useful tool. I've also come to realise that just like in writing, you can use common sounds in music to connect two seperate peaces (ie. transition between them). In writing you often use a common link to connect two paragraphs.

Whether or not I'm creating something brand new, or even end up w/ the same process in the end, it is not important; because, I'm discovering music on my own and creating my own music rather than starting by playing the music of others ... and so, it's a very liberating experience!

My first track to appear in my own encoding soon :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home