The unexpected Beijing
After a full day ferry ride from Korea and 3hr bus ride, I found myself in Beijing. It was everything but what I expected. I have heard about all of the pollution in China and have met people who have been there before, claiming that in some cities you could feel the oil on your skin after only 15 minute walk outside. I also remember hearing many stories of protesters fighting to get their country to boycott the Beijing Olympics due to reasons of pollution, human rights, etc. At the same time, I was expecting a lot of the communist remaining architecture and a place of some poverty and infrastructure that was falling apart. So what I expected was a lot of pollution, not very green and infrastructure that was quite bad ... what did I find?
Beijing is a city like any other western city, in fact, I'd say better than most I've seen. In terms of pollution; the skies are blue, the city is full of trees and the air feels to me as clean as any big city in North America; Toronto, Seattle, etc included. Regarding the buildings and infrastructure ... well, so much of it is modern and new; large apartment buildings/condos, shopping malls, large streets with various neon lights, pretty much all of the western brand names you can think of, can be found here on the mass, large dance clubs can also be found here. In fact, if it weren't for the historic monuments and the occasional soldier protecting some embassy or an important monument, I would not be able to tell you that I was in China. Unlike in Japan and Korea, you can find a slew of foreigners here ... on my first day here, I've seen more foreigners at a university restaurant than I did in my entire stay in Korea.
There are many crazy, odd and funny things happening in the city. When it comes to driving, there are no rules, cars go on red lights, people cross on red lights too. People approach you and ask to take a picture with you, others approach to sell you something. Everything is dirt cheap ... you can bargain your way all the way to a penny. The food is oh, so dilicious everywhere and not at all like the Chinese restaurants found in North America ... for one, the markets are quite good for food; On the first night that I arrived here, we went to a Tibettan restaurant ... oh man, that was one of the most delicious dishes I have had in my life.
With all the random stuff that is going on and all of the attractions to see, it's quite an amazing city ... and I love it.
Beijing is a city like any other western city, in fact, I'd say better than most I've seen. In terms of pollution; the skies are blue, the city is full of trees and the air feels to me as clean as any big city in North America; Toronto, Seattle, etc included. Regarding the buildings and infrastructure ... well, so much of it is modern and new; large apartment buildings/condos, shopping malls, large streets with various neon lights, pretty much all of the western brand names you can think of, can be found here on the mass, large dance clubs can also be found here. In fact, if it weren't for the historic monuments and the occasional soldier protecting some embassy or an important monument, I would not be able to tell you that I was in China. Unlike in Japan and Korea, you can find a slew of foreigners here ... on my first day here, I've seen more foreigners at a university restaurant than I did in my entire stay in Korea.
There are many crazy, odd and funny things happening in the city. When it comes to driving, there are no rules, cars go on red lights, people cross on red lights too. People approach you and ask to take a picture with you, others approach to sell you something. Everything is dirt cheap ... you can bargain your way all the way to a penny. The food is oh, so dilicious everywhere and not at all like the Chinese restaurants found in North America ... for one, the markets are quite good for food; On the first night that I arrived here, we went to a Tibettan restaurant ... oh man, that was one of the most delicious dishes I have had in my life.
With all the random stuff that is going on and all of the attractions to see, it's quite an amazing city ... and I love it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home