Monday, October 01, 2007

Pedro the Hang drum player in Barcelona

Another sunny day in Barcelona and so I was out on a random walk through the city ... this has recently been my way of sight seeing. On my walk I encountered many interesting things and stories, but I will tell just one right now.

I was walking near cathedral Barcelona when I heard a really neat musical sound ... it instantly reminded me of a track I love in the movie Constant Gardner ... so I walked towards it. It was coming from a small square in a narrow alley. I walked in and sat down listening intently ... the music was beautiful, the instrument looked strangely unfamiliar.

I listened and exchanged a few words with the musician during his breaks. He was Brazilian from Rio and he obtained this weird instrument from Bern, Switzerland. I wanted to have a conversations with him, but his breaks were too short ... luckily in a nice coincidence, a group of tourists walked in with a guide who asked the guy to stop playing at his next break. This was perfect, it gave me an opportunity to talk with him.

His name was Pedro. It turned out that this instrument was new and that there are two masters in Bern that made it. Pedro was one of 5 Hang drum artists in town; later I would see another one. He told me artists needed license to play in Barcelona and got a time slot at a specific location. We talked about his music and his album and the instruments used in different tracks, as well as, his band with another unusual instrument from India. Turned out Pedro went on a 4 month tour of India in the south. He told me about some sights he'd seen there, like the continuous body burning fire and the oldest living city. We agreed that I would email him and he'll make some suggestions about places I should go there. In the end we shook hands and I told him to keep playing the beautiful music for the world to hear.



In the video above, it's Pedro playing on the Hang drum at the same place in Barcelona where I met him. He also has a blog

I was thinking about it, this is an awesome instrument that may not be too difficult to learn but sounds amazing. This is the perfect instrument for the march!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exquisite intricacy of "modern" music. Just to sit and listen to the sound. A uniqueness that only one can describe. It evokes pleasure, sadness, and dreams. Don't just bottle the memory but flood your life with the experience and let it flow in everything you do.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home