Saturday, September 01, 2007

In search of meaning ...


In search of meaning, we first come to abstract the process!
To me, the process of life is about connecting, adapting, understanding, and being attracted to.

Adaptation
We adapt all the time to environments we are in and to people. We do so to be able to maintain and form better connections and to survive. Friends adopt to each other to maintain and form a stronger connection; this is visible sometimes through their similar way of talking. People adopt to cultures and work environments by dressing and acting according to the norm. To live is to adapt!

Connection
We connect to everything around us: people, places, cultures, thoughts, ideas ... everything! Love is a type of strong connection. Sometimes you can feel the connection and it's especially beautiful when you are aware of its existence. To live is to connect!

Understanding
Understanding comes through meaning; it can be conscious as in "this is interesting: I'd like to understand what this means" or unconscious as in "I identify with this, but I'm not sure why". In order to connect, you need to reach understanding at some level. To live is to understand!

Attraction
We are consciously and unconsciously attracted to people, situations, ideas, objects, places ... This may be based on past experiences or genetic wiring. In order to understand we first need to be attracted by that we seek to understand. To live is to be attracted!


Some Meaningful Question:

What is Love? It is a strong connection that comes through understanding and adaptation to each other.
What is falling in love? It can be described in terms of attraction, understanding, connection and adaptation.
What's the perfect couple? Ones that are in love and are able to live and adapt to each other.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cédric Sébastien said...

reading this in Zurich, listening to Jeff buckley.

here is an excerpt from the song I am listening to:

"what is love, what is life, what is peace"

Cheers

2:31 AM  
Blogger not a real geek said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Alex Pilchin said...

Ah, my dear friend, why do you hide your name? :)

Well, my post is quite abstract and the terms used at times should not be interpreted to mean literally what they mean in daily use.

I think it is important to note that these processes should be thought of as operating on the unconscious level as well as conscious ... after all, we are not always conscious of everything around us.

Life is Attraction; this one is simple ... you walk along the street, you ignore most of what you see, right? ... but at times something grabs your attention! This is attraction ... you were attracted by something whether a girl, a building, an object, etc.

To live is to understand; I tried to make it clear in the post. You seem to be concentrating on complex things and on the conscious level ... whereas I'm talking about simple things and on both levels. The complex arises as an emergence of many simple things. On the unconscious level we extract meaning and explanation about what we are attracted to ... this leads us to form what I refer to as a connection (if it is interesting to us) ... otherwise we ignore it. For example you see a nice building ... you are attracted to it at first and then you either realize or it stays on the unconscious level that there are certain features that are attracting you to it; at some level you understand what attracts you to it and you form a feeling towards it. This is a connection. Understanding is behind the scenes to tie your attraction to this feeling. It is also there on the conscious level otherwise we wouldn't be able to function in our daily life.

Now this formed a connection between you and the building ... meaning you now have some sort of a feeling towards it ... you may or may not notice it next time ... but there was an initial connection made.


Regarding Perfect couple:
I think we agree on the 2nd part of the definition of the "perfect couple" ... only you call it concessions and I call it in a more general term adaptation. As for love playing a part, I think you will quickly realize that love is there once you are away from each other for a long time and/or you are on the verge of loosing your love. And remember we are talking about perfect :)

The Ego is part of your subconscious ... it may effect how you behave but not your interaction with the world at this low level, in terms of these simple primitives.

3:09 PM  
Blogger not a real geek said...

Gotta repost to correct the many typos.

too bad blogspot doesn't let me see the post as I write my comment. because i am too lazy to open it in a different tab, I'll comment on what I remember.

To live is to adapt. Yep, you got this one right.

To live is to connect. Nope, I still can't understand what you mean with "connect to a culture" or "a place". If you say that we adapt to them, then I agree.

To live is to understand. Nope. Most people in the world do not have any clue of what's going on around them and most of them like it that way. As George Orwell said, "ignorance is power". It's much easier to adapt not to have to worry and just keep going than to try to understand why the heck everything looks so unfair.

To live is to be attracted?

To fall in love has few to do with being a perfect couple. It's scientifically proven that the passion felt in the beginning vanishes in a few months. To be a perfect couple, both must be ready to make concessions.


that's my two cents.
and remember the ego!




Now the new comment.

I understand what you mean but don't think you got the primitives right. I don't know which ones are the right ones, though, but I guess they are more and more basic. Attraction and understanding seem to me much higher level than adaptation. I think the others should be at the same level.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home