Saturday, November 13, 2004

EA in the news for employee exploitation

So EA was in the news the other day and it wasn't the typical publicity they would enjoy!

Looks like there are a lot of unhappy workers at EA and their families are rather upset about it, and now they are trying to put pressure on the company. I normally don't mind a bit of overtime myself, especially if what I'm doing is interesting, but some of what's mentioned in the article is rather shocking and I wouldn't want to be stuck in a situation like that. At one point I've actually considered working for them and even applied for jobs there a few times.

Also, now it looks like there may be some lawsuits filed against them.

Boy oh boy, they are in deep trouble!

Here is a related story about Microsoft and some of its practices

4 Comments:

Blogger Ilyia Kaushansky said...

Interesting read. I think it happens in most sofware companies; however, so I don't think it's fair to single out EA Sports like this.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Alex Pilchin said...

Well I didn't write the original articles.

Having said that, there is a degree to which this is going on in other companies and there is also a difference between people who like doing their stuff and staying at work late because they enjoy it so much and people who are forced to work these long hours without further compensation.

Only the later is a problem.

If I'm not mistaken there is a government law that states the number of hours that one can work in a week and all extra hours are considered overtime and must be compensated as such. However, companies, intelligent as they are, found a loophole in the law, certainly not the first time that happened, via salary based payments.

Alex

8:57 PM  
Blogger Alex Pilchin said...

Here is a follow up article on this story from NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/21/business/yourmoney/21digi.html?ex=1258693200&en=40a60cc6d7971ab2&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

10:32 PM  
Blogger Alex Pilchin said...

Here is a memo that was leaked from the company.
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/business/ea-promises-changes-in-leaked-internal-memo-026800.php

The company executives seem to be recognizing the problems and proposing some solutions to fix these.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home